Electric Literature Seeks Remote Editorial Intern for Fall 2021/Winter 2022
Electric Literature internships introduce undergraduate and graduate students, emerging writers, and aspiring publishing professionals to literary digital publishing. Because we are a small, not-for-profit publisher, we provide unique opportunities for professional development and resume-building.
- Write book lists and news items for electricliterature.com
- Provide feedback on pitches and submissions
- Proofread and prepare drafts for publication on WordPress
- Select images to pair with articles and brainstorm headlines
- Attend and participate in weekly editorial meetings
- Keep track of upcoming titles and literary news for potential coverage
- Provide research support
- Transcribe interviews
- Perform administrative tasks as needed
- Excellent writing skills and a unique point of view
- Firm grasp of grammar and spelling
- Organized and fastidious
- Experience using WordPress is preferred but not required
The ideal candidate:
- Has an educational background in journalism, literature, or creative writing
- Has prior internship or entry-level job experience at another publishing, media, or non-profit organization
- Regularly reads new book releases as well as literary magazines and literary websites (including but not limited to Recommended Reading, The Commuter, and electricliterature.com)
- Believes strongly in the Electric Literature mission: to make literature more relevant, exciting, and inclusive
- Is hard working, pays attention to detail, and can work independently
- Writes clearly and with personality
- Has an eye for design and knows what images will grab a reader’s attention
This is a part time, remote internship (10–20 hours/week) with a $200 per month stipend. Candidates must be able to work at least two days per week during East Coast business hours. This three-month internship runs from September through December (exact dates are flexible, and there may be an opportunity to extend the internship through the winter).
To apply, please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org at your earliest convenience with the subject line “Internship application: your name”. We are looking to fill the position immediately and applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
- A cover letter and resume
- Write the headline and 2 to 3 paragraph introduction for a reading list (you can look at the lists section on our site for inspiration). Include 5–7 book titles that you would include on the list, and a short capsule description of one of those books.