If You’re Reading This You’re Wasting Time

If you enjoy reading Electric Literature, join our mailing list! We’ll send you the best of EL each week, and you’ll be the first to know about upcoming submissions periods and virtual events.

Think you know how to read? You’re wrong. You were actually wasting precious seconds actually reading those words when you should have been focusing on the optimal recognition point (ORP) instead.

The Guardian reported on Spritz, a new app that promises to dramatically increase your reading speeds.

When you’re reading, say the app’s creators, “the eye seeks a certain point within the word, which we call the optimal recognition point, or ORP. After your eyes find the ORP, your brain starts to process the meaning of the word that you’re viewing…when reading, only around 20% of your time is spent processing content. The remaining 80% is spent physically moving your eyes from word to word and scanning for the next ORP.”

The average reading speed is 220 words per minute, but the company claims that by “Spritzing” you can hit speeds of 1,000 WPM, fast enough to read a 1,000 page novel in 10 hours. You can see ORP-powered Spritz in action in the video below, set at a reading speed of 600 WPM.

Head to spritzinc.com to learn more.

More Like This

The Coolest Literary Tattoos on the Internet

We asked our readers to send us their book inspired tattoos and they delivered

Sep 24 - McKayla Coyle

We All Live on Slack Now

Calvin Kasulke's work from home novel "Several People Are Typing" questions whether our colleagues are just disembodied avatars on the internet

Sep 8 - McKayla Coyle

Finding Self-Worth by Stalking Your Instagram Crush IRL

Beth Morgan, author of "A Touch of Jen," on how social media changes the way we see ourselves

Sep 7 - Richa Kaul Padte
Thank You!