We’re Hiring a Marketing and Development Assistant
Applications for this part-time position are due June 2
Electric Lit relies on contributions from our readers to help make literature more exciting, relevant, and inclusive. Please support our work by becoming a member today, or making a one-time donation here.
Electric Literature seeks a part time Marketing and Development Assistant to join our team. This position will assist the Executive Director to grow Electric Literature’s membership and donor base, and market its merchandise, publications, and programs to targeted audiences. Specific responsibilities include liaising with members and donors, and helping to recruit advertisers and coordinate EL’s annual fundraising gala, the Masquerade of the Red Death. The Marketing and Development Assistant will also have administrative duties such as sending gift receipts to donors, pulling sales reports, and maintaining the advertising calendar. Though this is a part time position, there will be opportunities to advance and expand the role.
Electric Literature’s mission is to make literature more relevant, exciting, and inclusive. Here’s how you’ll contribute to those goals:
- Raise awareness and enthusiasm for Electric Literature’s activities and mission
- Strengthen and grow Electric Literature’s community
- Think creatively about how Electric Literature can communicate its ideals most effectively, and how the organization should adapt to a changing media landscape
This is an ideal position for someone with entry-level experience who is looking to take their skills to the next level.
- Manage Electric Literature’s online store and merchandise, including customer service, order fulfillment, promotions, and marketing
- Contribute ideas for new merchandise
- Work with the Executive Director to establish and meet sales targets
- Assist the Executive Director to recruit new advertisers and build those relationships
- Help manage relationships with existing advertisers
- Manage ad scheduling, reporting, and fulfillment
- Create visual assets for marketing campaigns
- Pursue promotional and press opportunities for Electric Literature
Development and Fundraising
- Work with the Executive Director to develop strategies to attract new members and individual donors, and to strengthen the membership community through in-person events and online initiatives
- Act as the communications liaison with members and individual donors, field requests and inquiries, etc.
- Work with the Executive Director to establish and meet new membership targets
- Track individual donations and manage gift acknowledgement
- Assist the Executive Director in planning EL’s fundraising gala The Masquerade of the Red Death, held annually in October
- Assist in planning the occasional small community events such as readings and mingles
- Assist in planning cultivation events for prospective members and donors
The ideal candidate:
- Is outgoing and friendly; the kind of person who will introduce him or herself to everyone in a room
- Thinks creatively about how to connect with people
- Is passionate about literature’s power to bring people together
- Is patient and organized
- Has at least one year of professional marketing experience (assistant level and freelance work qualifies)
- Is able to set and work toward quantitative goals
- Has professional event planning experience (intern and assistant level qualify)
- Is organized, calm under pressure, and a quick thinker
- Is familiar with the New York literary and cultural scenes
- Mailchimp, mail merge
- Strong communications skills
- Familiarity with non-profit membership structures
- Familiarity with online ad sales including Google ads and DFP, or a willingness to learn
- Experience writing press releases and promotional material
- Designs skills and proficiency with design programs such as Photoshop, inDesign, and/or Canva
This is a part time 15hr/week position with a $1,000 per month stipend. All candidates must be available to come into EL’s downtown Brooklyn office.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com by 11:59PM on Sunday, June 2, with the subject line Marketing and Development Assistant Application: Your Name.