Job Opportunity: Electric Literature Seeks Events Assistant
We’re Hiring a Part-Time Assistant for the Fall
The second annual Genre Ball to support Electric Literature is Friday, October 28 at Ace Hotel New York, and we’re looking for someone to help plan the party! Electric Literature is a 501(c)3 non-profit and the Genre Ball is our most important fundraiser. Mary Gaitskill, Donna Tartt, Alexander Chee, and Michael Cunningham were among the literary stars who attended last year’s event, along with hundreds of costumed revelers.
This is great opportunity for an avid reader who keeps up with contemporary literature, has an interest in a career in event planning, programming, fundraising, or nonprofit management, and has held internships or entry level positions in a related field.
This is a temporary, part-time position for September and October with opportunities for continued employment as an Events and Development Assistant, contingent on fundraising success. The Events Assistant will be paid on an hourly basis and will work primarily with the Executive Director.
- The time commitment is 10 hours a week in September and up to 20 hours a week in October, with the potential for longer hours the week of the event
- All candidates must be able to work from our Manhattan office at least once a week in September and October, and be available from 10am until midnight on Friday, October 28
- Maintain a guest list and correspond with guests
- Reach out to potential sponsors
- Act as the primary contact person for day-of logistics, including set-up and clean-up
- Help recruit and supervise volunteers
- Assist in creating and maintaining a project budget
- Assist in developing and executing promotional and outreach campaigns
- Conduct event follow-up with guests, vendors, and sponsors
Qualifications and Characteristics:
- At least 6 months of event planning and/or programming experience
- Energetic, outgoing, and friendly
- A creative, DIY attitude, and a willingness to make the most of limited resources
- Organized and pragmatic
- Calm under pressure and able to work efficiently under tight deadlines
- Hands on and helpful; willing to do everything from taking the trash out to greeting guests
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to editors [at] electricliterature.com, attn: Halimah Marcus by August 1, 2016.