The ‘Annihilation’ Teaser Trailer Is Out and It’s Basically Perfect
The screen adaptation of Jeff VanderMeer’s first Southern Reach book is exactly uncanny enough
Electric Lit relies on contributions from our readers to help make literature more exciting, relevant, and inclusive. Please support our work by becoming a member today, or making a one-time donation here.
Everyone who loves Jeff VanderMeer’s Southern Reach trilogy probably loves it foremost for the perfectly unsettling ambiance of Area X, the uncanny overgrown stretch of land where most of the first book, Annihilation, takes place. And based on the teaser trailer for the Annihilation movie, writer-director Alex Garland got the look and feel of Area X just right.
It’s hard to tell much else about the movie from the teaser, which is less than two minutes long. Will Garland maintain the brilliantly frustrating mysteries of Area X, most of which aren’t explained until later books? We’ll have to wait until February 2018 to find out. But we do know one thing: Where lies the strangling fruit that came from the hand of the sinner I shall bring forth the seeds of the dead to share with the worms that gather in the darkness…
Here’s some Jeff VanderMeer content to tide you over for the next five months. What can we say, the man is an Electric Lit fave.
- Jeff VanderMeer recommends three dystopian novels to read in 2017
- VanderMeer’s Illustrated Guide to Writing Scenes and Stories
- Jeff VanderMeer & Cory Doctorow Discuss the Future of Sci-Fi & the World
- Ann and Jeff VanderMeer track the rise of science fiction
- The Writing Life on the Road: Jeff VanderMeer’s Tallahassee
- INTERVIEW: Jeff VanderMeer, author of the Southern Reach trilogy
- Jeff VanderMeer Explains How to Wash a Mouse in the Southern Reach
- Jeb Bush Is Sinking, a piece of Twitter fiction/vestige of the simpler time of the 2016 primaries
And bonus: Alex Garland content!