Electric Literature Seeks a Development Director to Join our Team
Electric Lit relies on contributions from our readers to help make literature more exciting, relevant, and inclusive. Please support our work by becoming a member today, or making a one-time donation here.
Electric Literature’s mission is to amplify the power of storytelling with digital innovation. In the last year, we reached 2.9 million unique visitors, received our non-profit status, relaunched our website, electricliterature.com, doubled the audience of our weekly fiction magazine, Recommended Reading, and launched another weekly magazine of short things, Okey-Panky. During this exciting period of growth, we are looking for a Development Director to increase our contributed income as we expand our staff, audience, and the scope of our projects.
This is a part-time, flexible position that pays $1,000 per month. Applicants must be located in the NYC area.
The Director of Development will:
- Work with the Editorial Director and Board Chairman to develop a strategic plan and set fundraising goals
- Cultivate individual donors
- Maintain relationships with individual and organizational donors
- Write and submit grant proposals
- Write and submit grant reports
- Identify new funding sources
- Manage fundraising campaigns
- Liaise with fundraising board members
- Measure success against strategic plan and fundraising goal
The ideal candidate will have:
- A minimum 1 year of experience working in non-profit development
- Authored or collaborated on successfully funded grant proposals
- Authored or collaborated on multi-year fundraising strategies
- Experience creating project budgets
- Management and/or leadership experience
The ideal candidate will:
- Write clearly and cleanly
- Express the mission of Electric Literature in compelling and unexpected ways
- Have a passion for literature
- Believe strongly in making literature more accessible through digital innovation
- Be self-motivated
- Be confident and comfortable engaging new people
- Be cool under pressure, and able to work on deadlines
To apply, please send a cover letter, relevant writing sample, and resume to halimah [at] electricliterature.com by February 16, 2015.