The Man Booker International Prize Long List Is Out
Check out the 2017 “Man Booker International Dozen”
The thirteen finalists for the Man Booker International Prize have been announced. Amos Oz and Yan Lianke headline a list that includes writers from countries around the world including Argentina, Israel, Albania, and France.
The International Prize is awarded to a fiction book translated into English and published in the United Kingdom. The winning author and translator each will win £25,000. Nick Barley, director of the Edinburgh International Book Festival, chaired the panel of five judges who whittled down an initial group of 126 books to the final 13.
The six book shortlist will be out April 20th and the winner will be released on June 14th. To learn more about the prize and judging process, check out the Man Book press release here.
And here is the full long list:
Author (nationality), Translator, Title (imprint)
- Mathias Enard (France), Charlotte Mandell, Compass (Fitzcarraldo Editions)
- Wioletta Greg (Poland), Eliza Marciniak, Swallowing Mercury (Portobello Books)
- David Grossman (Israel), Jessica Cohen, A Horse Walks Into a Bar (Jonathan Cape)
- Stefan Hertmans (Belgium), David McKay, War and Turpentine (Harvill Secker)
- Roy Jacobsen (Norway), Don Bartlett, Don Shaw, The Unseen (Maclehose)
- Ismail Kadare (Albania), John Hodgson, The Traitor’s Niche (Harvill Secker)
- Jon Kalman Stefansson (Iceland), Phil Roughton, Fish Have No Feet (Maclehose)
- Yan Lianke (China), Carlos Rojas, The Explosion Chronicles (Chatto & Windus)
- Alain Mabanckou (France), Helen Stevenson, Black Moses (Serpent’s Tail)
- Clemens Meyer (Germany), Katy Derbyshire, Bricks and Mortar (Fitzcarraldo Editions)
- Dorthe Nors (Denmark), Misha Hoekstra, Mirror, Shoulder, Signal (Pushkin Press) (Read our interview with Nors here)
- Amos Oz (Israel), Nicholas de Lange, Judas (Chatto & Windus)
- Samanta Schweblin (Argentina), Megan McDowell, Fever Dream (Oneworld) (Read our review of Fever Dream here and a short story by Schweblin in Recommended Reading here.)