Electric Literature Seeks an Editorial Intern for the Winter/Spring Semester
Electric Literature internships provide an in-depth introduction to digital publishing and the New York literary scene. Because we are a small, not-for-profit publisher, we provide unique opportunities for professional development and resume-building.
As an Electric Literature intern, you are encouraged to become involved in any aspect of our work that interests you. Sure, you’ll go to the post-office, but you’ll also do things like contribute to editorial decisions, interview authors, and attend cool literary events.
- Read submissions and participate in editorial discussions
- Comb the web and social media for breaking literary news
- Copy edit
- Migrate the Recommended Reading archives
- Contribute content to electricliterature.com
- Staff events
- Select images to pair with articles
- Update contact databases
- Knowledge of WordPress, Tumblr, and social media platforms
- Familiarity with HTML
- Basic understanding of Photoshop and inDesign
- Firm grasp of grammar and spelling, with a hawkish attention to detail
The ideal candidate:
- Has an educational background in literature or creative writing
- Participates in the contemporary literary scene
- Regularly reads literary magazines and literary websites (including but not limited to Recommended Reading and electricliterature.com)
- Believes strongly in the Electric Literature mission: To amplify the power of storytelling with digital innovation
- Is hard working, pays great attention to detail, and can work independently
- Writes clearly and with personality
- Has an eye for design and knows what images will grab reader’s attention
This is an unpaid, part time internship (10–20 hours/week), with opportunities for hire. Candidates must be able to come to our downtown Brooklyn office at least 3 days/week. We are happy to work with universities and MFA programs to provide course credit. This 5 month internship runs from the end of January through May (exact dates are flexible). To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 23, 2015.
You do not have to be a student to apply.