Electric Literature Seeks an Editorial Intern for the Winter/Spring Semester
If you enjoy reading Electric Literature, join our mailing list! We’ll send you the best of EL each week, and you’ll be the first to know about upcoming submissions periods and virtual events.
Electric Literature internships provide an in-depth introduction to digital publishing and the New York literary scene. Because we are a small, not-for-profit publisher, we provide unique opportunities for professional development and resume-building.
As an Electric Literature intern, you are encouraged to become involved in any aspect of our work that interests you. Sure, you’ll go to the post-office, but you’ll also do things like contribute to editorial decisions, interview authors, and attend cool literary events.
- Read submissions and participate in editorial discussions
- Comb the web and social media for breaking literary news
- Copy edit
- Migrate the Recommended Reading archives
- Contribute content to electricliterature.com
- Staff events
- Select images to pair with articles
- Update contact databases
- Knowledge of WordPress, Tumblr, and social media platforms
- Familiarity with HTML
- Basic understanding of Photoshop and inDesign
- Firm grasp of grammar and spelling, with a hawkish attention to detail
The ideal candidate:
- Has an educational background in literature or creative writing
- Participates in the contemporary literary scene
- Regularly reads literary magazines and literary websites (including but not limited to Recommended Reading and electricliterature.com)
- Believes strongly in the Electric Literature mission: To amplify the power of storytelling with digital innovation
- Is hard working, pays great attention to detail, and can work independently
- Writes clearly and with personality
- Has an eye for design and knows what images will grab reader’s attention
This is an unpaid, part time internship (10–20 hours/week), with opportunities for hire. Candidates must be able to come to our downtown Brooklyn office at least 3 days/week. We are happy to work with universities and MFA programs to provide course credit. This 5 month internship runs from the end of January through May (exact dates are flexible). To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com by January 23, 2015.
You do not have to be a student to apply.