Seeking Editorial Volunteers for Fall 2015
Electric Literature’s volunteer positions introduce undergraduate and graduate students, and emerging writers to digital publishing and the New York literary scene. Because we are a small, not-for-profit publisher, we provide unique opportunities for professional development and resume-building.
As an Electric Literature volunteer, you are encouraged to become involved in any aspect of our work that interests you. Sure, you’ll go to the post-office, but you’ll also do things like contribute to editorial decisions, interview authors, write articles, and attend literary events.
- Read submissions and participate in editorial discussions
- Comb the web and social media for breaking literary news
- Copy edit and proof read
- Contribute content to electricliterature.com
- Interview Recommended Reading authors
- Staff events
- Select images to pair with articles
- Update contact databases
- Assist in eBook production
- Knowledge of WordPress, Tumblr, and social media platforms
- Familiarity with HTML
- Basic understanding of Photoshop and inDesign
- Firm grasp of grammar and spelling, with a sharp attention to detail
The ideal candidate:
- Has an educational background in literature or creative writing
- Participates in the contemporary literary scene
- Regularly reads literary magazines and literary websites (including but not limited to Recommended Reading. Okey-Panky, and electricliterature.com)
- Believes strongly in the Electric Literature mission: To amplify the power of storytelling with digital innovation
- Is hard working, pays great attention to detail, and can work independently
- Writes clearly and with personality
- Has an eye for design and knows what images will grab reader’s attention
This is an unpaid, part time volunteer position (10–20 hours/week), with opportunities for hire. Candidates must be able to come to our office in the Flatiron district of Manhattan at least 2 days/week. We are happy to work with universities and MFA programs to provide course credit, though you do not need to be a student to apply. This 4 month position runs from September 1 though December 18 (exact dates are flexible). To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com by August 14, 2015.
Note: this post has been updated to clarify that the positions are volunteer positions. Electric Literature is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit.